I wrangle data into beautiful patterns, solve tricky problems, play well with others,
and leave crystal-clear documentation in my wake.
- Core Skills
- Analyzing and structuring data
- Creating detailed specifications
- Editing and improving documentation
- Inventing creative solutions
- Working graciously with people
- Completing independent projects
Smartek 21 (Microsoft Bing contract)Kirkland, WA
Taxonomist 2011 - 2012
Improved Bing's search result features and data quality by:
- Researching and defining new data segments for targeted search result features.
- Providing clear, accurate data for risk assessment and project viability reports.
- Defining and testing quality metrics for large proprietary data sets.
- Breaking down tasks into clear, simple steps for crowd-sourcing and automation.
Serials Solutions Seattle, WA
Data Acquisitions Editor 2009 - 2011
Knowledgebase Collection Specialist 2007 - 2008
Expanded and maintained a vast metadata collection by:
- Collecting and updating serial and monographic metadata.
- Verifying accuracy against primary sources, MARC records, ISSN Portal, Books In Print.
- Testing and refining scripts to automate data correction tasks.
- Developing standards and policies for our new monographic collection.
Software Test Engineer 2008 - 2009
Improved confidence in software quality and advocated for user needs by:
- Testing new web tool and API releases.
- Contributing to triage, design, and release discussions as a user advocate.
- Collaborating with developers on automated test tools and best practices.
- Documenting process flow to improve comprehensive testing.
Humanities Washington Seattle, WA
Intern/Directed Field Work 2007
Created strategy recommendations for a non-profit by:
- Transforming open questions into achievable goals.
- Conducting quantitative and qualitative surveys of civic engagement program leaders.
- Analyzing census data to provide a state-wide demographic report.
- Recommending focuses, tactics, and community partners for upcoming programs.
Getty Images Seattle, WA
Search Vocabulary Consultant (Contract) 2006
Improved a natural language processing system and taxonomy for photo captions by:
- Analyzing digital photographs from an existing library.
- Defining search strategies to disambiguate common words by context.
- Adapting an old controlled vocabulary to a new purpose. (Stock photos to Photojournalism)
- Identifying and addressing culturally sensitive classifications in the vocabulary.
Group Health Cooperative Seattle, WA
Medicare Records Specialist 2004 - 2005
- Archived patient records to meet hospital and Medicare requirements.
- Maintained positive working relationships with staff at over 30 nursing homes.
- Processed urgent nurse paging requests and time-sensitive data updates.
- Developed and maintained performance and workload metrics and reports.
- Wrote comprehensive position documentation and training materials.
Spraycool / Isothermal Systems Research Clarkston, WA
Junior Buyer 2002 - 2003
- Researched part specifications for engineers under tight deadlines.
- Created semi-automated stocking program, preventing shortages.
- Initiated new relationships with supplier companies.
- Maintained documentation to ISO 9000 standards.
University of Washington Geophysics Laboratory Seattle, WA
Researcher (Intern) 1998 - 1999
- Designed and ran experiments independently, giving status reports weekly.
- Collected and analyzed data using a variety of statistical methods.
- Followed lab protocols on safety, accuracy, and records maintenance.
- Created graphs, charts, posters, and websites to document and present research.
- Volunteer Experience
Asotin County Library Clarkston, WA
Volunteer (120 hours) 2004
- Researched unidentified paintings to re-index the art collection.
- Built an Access database to index storytime books.
- Created brochures and displays promoting library programs and services.
- Reformatted patron forms and shelf signs to modern professional standards.
- Awarded the title of Grand High Poobah of Volunteers
- Conferences Attended
Washington Library Association
Annual Conference Yakima, WA - 2011
Special Library Association
Annual Conference Seattle, WA - 2008
American Library Association
Annual Conference Washington, DC - 2007
Mid-Winter Conference Seattle, WA - 2007
Public Library Association
Annual Conference Seattle, WA - 2005
Washington State Librarian certificate
Washington Library Association 2011 - present
American Library Association 2005 - 2007
University of Washington Seattle, WA
Master of Library and Information Science 2007
Focus: Classification, accessibility, and ethical policy-making.
Coursework emphasized practical applications, field research, and collaboration.
Bachelor of Arts, Mathematics 2002
Focus: Computer applications, data structures, and statistics.
NASA Space Grant Scholar
- Computer Skills
Learning new interfaces; information search and retrieval; information architecture, web design, and database design; statistical data manipulation and analysis.
Languages and Programs
MS Office, expert MS Excel, MS Access, MS Publisher, MS Project, MARCedit, Bugzilla, RightNow, EndNote, HTML, XHTML, CSS, MediaWiki.
Functional familiarity with C#, Ruby, SQL, XML, Matlab, Labview, C++, regular expressions.
Home computers run Mac OSX and Ubuntu.
- Professional Interests
- Metadata standards, elegant data structures, controlled vocabulary, taxonomy, search engine optimization (SEO), data quality control, digital resources, serials cataloging, archival standards, physical and digital preservation, government documents, private sector libraries, non-profit sector libraries, information ethics, freedom of information, privacy, intellectual property, usability, accessibility.
Back to Bibliotango
Logo provided by Rachel Hestilow. All content rights reserved.
Style sheet adapted from Chris Coyier's and is free for you to use or adapt.